Pharmaceutical Packaging Industry Overview
The global pharmaceutical packaging market size was valued at USD 117.2 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.5% from 2021 to 2030.
Growing penetration of retail pharmacies in developing regions and a rising focus on brand enhancement and product differentiation by pharmaceutical manufacturers are anticipated to fuel the market growth. Packaging products are primarily utilized for storing solid, liquid, and semisolid forms of formulations, such as tablets, capsules, syrups, and topical drug formulations. The increasing prevalence of chronic diseases due to changing lifestyles, eating habits, and alternation in sleep cycles are contributing to an increased need for medications.
In addition, the focus of various governments on strengthening healthcare facilities and insurance coverage is further expanding the demand for pharmaceuticals, which, in turn, is boosting the market growth. Drugs are majorly offered in pills, liquid, and powder forms. Various packaging types including rigid bottles, standup pouches, flat pouches, sachets, and blister packs are used for their packaging. Pharma packaging products are highly customized products and are bounded by strict regulatory compliances, especially concerning the sterility of the packaging. Thus, the packaging and pharmaceutical product manufacturers work closely during the development of packaging products.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Pharmaceutical Packaging Market
The emergence of counterfeiting activities has led to the imposition of bans on such counterfeit products that can cause undesirable effects on consumers, leading to major health concerns. From February 2019, under the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2016/161, drug makers are required to add a unique identifier and an anti-tampering device to the packaging of most centrally authorized pharmaceutical products. Packaging companies are increasingly focusing on the incorporation of tamper-evident properties into the packaging to enhance their functionality and safety to comply with strict regulations.
Companies are majorly focusing on the utilization of Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) material and are also developing packaging from compostable material to increase sustainability. Gerresheimer AG offers glass bottles made from PCR glass. In addition, the company is offering bottles made from R-PET and BIO-PET (resins made from sugarcane plants). This trend of sustainable packaging is expected to significantly gain pace in the coming years.
Following the COVID-19 outbreak in December 2019, top biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies are engaged in the development of vaccines for the disease. In 2020, the demand for glass-based vials has therefore witnessed a significant spike in demand owing to the increased COVID-19 vaccine production by companies including GlaxoSmithKline plc (GSK), AstraZeneca, Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna. The demand is further expected to increase in 2021 with an increasing number of orders for vaccines from countries across the world.
Browse through Grand View Research's Plastics, Polymers & Resins Industry Research Reports.
- Europe Pharmaceutical Packaging Materials Market – The Europe pharmaceutical packaging materials market size was valued at USD 5.89 billion in 2018 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 7.7% over the forecast period. Recent technological advancements, such as smart packing, are likely to drive the growth. Increasing use of environment-friendly pharmaceutical and energy saving packing products is also expected to influence the market positively.
- Middle East & Africa Aluminum Foil Packaging Market – The Middle East & Africa aluminum foil packaging market size was valued at USD 1.94 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.8% from 2020 to 2028. A major shift from plastic packaging to sustainable packaging choices is anticipated to augment the growth of the market. The rising number of food service outlets and a resultant rise in demand for food packaging containers are expected to drive the market over the forecast period.
Pharmaceutical Packaging Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global pharmaceutical packaging market report on the basis of material, product, end use, and region:
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Material Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Plastics & Polymers
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Polypropylene (PP)
- Paper & Paperboard
- Aluminum Foil
- Plastics & Polymers
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Product Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Plastic Bottles
- Caps & Closures
- Parenteral Containers
- Blister Packs
- Prefillable Inhalers
- Medication Tubes
- Prescription Container
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Accessories
- Pharmaceutical Packaging End-use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- Pharma Manufacturing
- Contract Packaging
- Retail Pharmacy
- Institutional Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2017 – 2030)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa (MEA)
Market Share Insights
- June 2019: CCC Packaging, acquired Tri State Distribution, Inc., a retail pharmaceutical packaging solutions provider. The acquisition was aimed to expand its pharmaceutical product portfolio and the customer base.
- December 2019: Top biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies are engaged in the development of vaccines for the disease.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global pharmaceutical packaging market include:
- Amcor plc
- Becton, Dickinson, and Company
- AptarGroup, Inc.
- Drug Plastics Group
- Gerresheimer AG
- Schott AG
- Owens Illinois, Inc.
- West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
- Berry Global, Inc.
- WestRock Company
- SGD Pharma
- International Paper
- Comar, LLC
- CCL Industries, Inc.
- Vetter Pharma International
Order a free sample PDF of the Pharmaceutical Packaging Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519