Intrauterine Insemination (IUI) is one of the procedures done for the treatment of infertility. It is a simple procedure that does not require injections or multiple visits.
Which couples can undergo IUI?
Young couples in whom the following criteria are met can undergo IUI
Wife should have
- The fallopian tubes are patent
- Normal AMH value and good AFC
- Normal semen analysis
Workup/ Investigations for IUI
- Baseline ultrasound
- Hormonal tests like AMH and TSH
- Hysterosalpingography (HSG) to check for tubal patency
- Semen analysis
What happens during the IUI cycle?
The wife is required to come on Day 2 of a menstrual period for a baseline ultrasound. Then she is given oral medication for the growth of the eggs (follicles) and a repeat ultrasound is done after 1 week. Usually, the follicles are ready and mature in 9 to 10 days. Then an injection is given to rupture the follicle and IUI is done after 1 day.
Can I continue with routine activities or is bed rest required after IUI?
No bed rest is required and one can easily continue with the daily activities.
- When is the pregnancy test done after IUI?
The pregnancy test is done after 2 weeks of IUI?
- What is the success rate of IUI?
The success rate of IUI is around 15-20percent.
Why is the IUI success rate so low?
Several factors affect the IUI success rate. Even if all tests are normal, the IUI may fail. This is similar to the fact that in a natural cycle also when a healthy couple is trying, the success rate is only around 15 to 20 percent. Factors like the quality of the egg, the quality of the sperm, and whether fertilization and implantation happen or not are beyond our control and influence the success rate.
What can I do to improve my IUI success rate?
The following help in improving the IUI success rate
- Eat healthy food, avoid junk food
- Exercise regularly to keep yourself healthy
- A husband should give a sample with an abstinence period of 3 to 5 days on IUI day
- Avoid smoking and alcohol
- Rectify any hormonal imbalance before the start of the procedure
- Any infection like PID or UTI should be treated.
How many times can IUI be done?
IUI can be done for 3 to 4 cycles in young couples. 88%of couples conceive in the first 3 cycles and 95 percent of couples conceive in the first 4 cycles. Doing more number of IUI cycles beyond that does not improve the success rate.
- 10. If three cycles of IUI fail, what should be done?
If 3 cycles of IUI have not worked, then the next best step is the procedure of IVF.